Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Pacific Earthquakes


What causes earthquakes in the Pacific Ocean?

In the October 15th earthquake I was standing outside of my appartment and was wonder if this will ever stop or are we going to slide of in the ocean! But Luckly 45 seconds later I found myself hugging my girlfriend wondering what made this earthquake so different than the others.

This earthquake was contibuted to a build up of tention underneath the ocean on the plates underneathe the Big Island. After a long build up of tension the crust finally cracked. Causeing a long rumbleing throughout the island. The aftershocks were caused by the crust trying to settle itself.

"Earthquakes are caused by faulting, a sudden lateral or vertical movement of rock along a ruptured surface!" Earthquakes are very interesting!

No comments: